Thursday, February 14, 2008

Pet Peeve

Relax, I’m not going to celebrate Valentine’s Day by listing the annoying things Gerald does. Good grief, the guy is practically perfect – his main issue being that he doesn’t use enough exclamation marks when he writes!!!

No, my pet peeve is with the movie industry. Being a sucker for romantic movies, I have noticed an annoying trend. All two hours of the movie are usually spent in the couple’s pursuit of each other or their separate lives leading up to the first meeting. Once they have finally figured out they love each other, the credits come up with the cheesy love songs.

So what does that say? Once someone falls in love, that’s the end? Why do they stop at the fluffy stuff? Why is it rare to see a movie where a married couple goes through life’s ups and downs together and end up stronger and more in love?

When I taught, one of the paraprofessionals told our students she and her husband were celebrating 20 years of marriage that day. “TWENTY YEARS???” exclaimed one, “I didn’t know you could be married that long!” Another time I was telling my students how my brothers teased us at our wedding. The students assured me I could get my brothers back at their weddings. I told them I couldn’t, because they are all married. Then my student said, “Well, just wait until their next marriage and do it then!”

Since that time I have realized over and over how blessed Gerald and I are to be surrounded by examples of rich, long-lasting marriages – Mom and Dad celebrated 50 years, Gerald's parents had their 40th anniversary this fall, our friends Barb & Dennis just celebrated 40 years also (how’s that for a Vegas marriage?), Stan (my brother) and Diane for 27 years and on down the line.

Almost 13 years ago (on February 19) Gerald proposed to me in Lawrence, KS. In Hollywood thinking, that should have been the end of the movie. But no, this show has only gotten better, stronger and sweeter over time. Now that’s love!

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

Pictured – Gerald faking surprise at seeing his birthday cake after church on the 18th of November.

1 Comments:

At 3:00 PM , Blogger MUD said...

Gerald! What the heck! are! you! Thinking! You proposed? I'll bet you did!
Thanks for the mention in your post. I think the kid di all right in finding you and then keeping you.
You are dead on in that life is ups and downs but love is the compass that keeps us all leveled out and on track. Kiss the girls for us. MUD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home