Medina

Through this gate you enter the medina - the old city of Meknes. We have been unable to take a good picture of the winding maze of streets, shops, homes, and even an ancient Jewish quarter inside. If it were not for Laurie, we'd probably be wandering around there still!
The city itself is 1000 years old, with the outer parts of the walls being redone over and over again. Behind the main walls, more walls hide homes, beautiful hotels, courtyards and entire lives that cannot be seen unless you are invited in. Wandering through the streets, you wonder what secrets the place holds.
The shopping area is a blast - even for a non-shopper like myself. Fascinating stores are squeezed in around tight corridors filled with people. Every now and then a man comes through pushing a huge cart making deliveries so everyone has to ooze into the shops to prevent being run over (doesn't that sound like fun??). One passageway leads to another, and an apparently tiny shop on the outside turns into a whole world when you step inside. Clothing, shoes, carpet stores, antiques, housewares, pottery...you name it, Laurie can find it!
One time when I was wandering through part of the medina myself, I smelled a foul odor. Turning, I was met with the entire head of a cow sitting on a counter. Hmmm... I guess I'd inadvertently entered the meat market area!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home