Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Missing Him


It was a year ago yesterday that Dad stepped from this world into the next. I can't believe it has been that long and sometimes I still can't believe he's gone. I always thought he'd keep going strong and then do something like climb a mountain for his 90th birthday.

This week I summarized the journal we all kept during Dad's hospitalization as well as thoughts since then for our family. It was hard to do, but finishing it gave me a sense of closure on that difficult but precious time.

As I was walking yesterday God showed off in a beautiful sunrise over the forested hills surrounding us. The verse, "Where, O death is your victory? Where, O death is your sting?" (Hos. 13:14) kept going through my mind. Yes, death seems to have won for now, but this is not the end of the story. There is more, much more - and that is how Dad lived his life.

It has been special to have a brother close by during this time. We even had our own little memorial service on Sunday. Mom is doing well "by the grace of God" as she says. She continues to inspire those around her with reliance on God. Although Dad's life has ended, the life he lived will bless the lives of all of us who follow him for many years to come. God has comforted me in so many ways - my favorite being a dream in which Dad came to me and gave me three wonderful hugs.

It was always so much fun to discuss the countries we were thinking of with Dad - he knew something about each of them. He would have been so excited about our coming here. He was our "daddabase" for information due to an insatiable curiosity about the world and all in it. He was always ready to learn, to grow, to do, to help, to share, to act, to love.

I miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home