Thursday, April 23, 2009

around-the-world-Mom

My dear 77-year-old mother (who just had a birthday) has arrived safely in Afghanistan. Not that Kabul is a tourist destination or that now that she's off the plane she's safe...

Mom and Dad left Kabul in 2005 after roughly 36 years of involvement in Afghanstian. Dad had just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and they had to leave immediately without goodbyes or closure. After Dad's death, I always knew that Mom would need to go back, but that doesn't make it any easier to see her go to the world's hottest spot! But this is the time to go. Brad's family will be moving to North Dakota next year because it's just too dangerous and restrictive for a family to live in Kabul. For example, their teenage boys can never go anywhere alone, they have to take different routes to school each day (to avoid being targets), they have very little electricity, etc. etc. Brad will continue his business of alternate energy (hydro, wind & solar) - by traveling back and forth between the States and Afghanistan.

So this is probably the last opportunity for Mom to visit Kabul, stay with family and assist with a women's project there.

I suppose a world-gallivanting mother is not so unusual when you consider that her mother, Viola Wiebe, got knocked over by a giraffe on safari at the age of 90 while visiting her children in Kenya...

Never-the-less, I would appreciate your prayers for Mom and Brad's family as they spend the last few months in Kabul.

3 Comments:

At 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your mom is up to the challenge of such an adventure, but I can't say I am surprised. I am sure your brother and his family will take good care of her. It is just sad they can't stay and do more good things for the people, but your brother and his family deserve a break from the challenges of living in such a hostile environment. Best wishes to them all.
Barb

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger MUD said...

I hope that in 15 years I will have all the travel taken that I want. My mother said just the other day that she wishes she could travel. She can hardly get from the bed to the chair. With a big screen TV and the National Geographic channel you would think she can see anything she wishes. Your mother has to travel just to see all of you in the many locations. MUD

 
At 12:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. I do sometimes wish Mom could travel from her arm chair, but then again - I think that would drive her crazy!
Julie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home