Digging Out
Like the residents of the mid-Atlantic coast, we are trying to dig out of a school crisis while not being sure when the next storm will hit.
In December, parents were told that the French system and AUI wanted a "divorce.”
Moroccan Parent feelings: Panic
You see, the French baccalaureate is THE most important thing to Moroccan parents. It opens the doors to all universities and professions in Morocco. Without it, there are much fewer options. Regardless of pedagogy, bureaucracy, and numerous other difficulties with the French system, parents are willing to put up with all of this in order for their children to succeed.
Ahmed, the Parent Association chair, talked them into delaying the decision and a parent committee was formed (with me on it) to decide what to do about the future.
M. Parent feelings: Hope
Before we had even had a chance to meet, AUI administration called us in and told us the AUI Board of Directors had decided to reestablish a North American school system in place of the French system to be in line with the university and to attract more American professors. We were asked to gather information about possible school systems and gather parent's input.
M. Parent feelings: Despair over the announcement
But the administration did give us one tiny indication that the French system could stay.
M. Parent feelings: Clinging onto a tiny ledge over a canyon
The American George Washington Academy in Casablanca was called by AUI for consultation.
M. Parent feelings: Terrified - American diplomas get you very little here. Plus, rumors abound that this is a Christian school. Moroccan/American/French/Christian/Muslim/Secular tensions abound. The only American parents, the Smiths and the Reimers, are blamed for everything by some even though we have no power and asked for no major change.
So our committee met and researched and wrote a great deal until we were ready to present possible solutions to the parents and administration.
M. Parent feelings: Impatience and hope
We submitted our thoughts to the parents and surveyed them. The vast majority wanted one school with two tracks: French and American.
M. Parent feelings: Hope - they got to give their input
Yesterday our committee was told by administration that we had come to the wrong conclusion, we had no right to compare school systems, we were answering a question that was never asked, the surveys were not appreciated, and they did not want our 30-page report.
M. Parent feelings: Anger, frustration, despair, anger, frustration, despair...
And that's where we are now. We still want to try to submit the report believing that it will be helpful and informative. The story is MUCH more complicated this - full of contradictory information, unclear instructions, an unbelievable lack of communication, statements to lead us on, etc.
But I have learned a few things. I enjoyed putting my toe back into the professional world. I liked using my brain and interacting with professionals again. I liked doing a lot of work for the committee because otherwise all I'd be doing is sitting around watching soap operas, right? I enjoyed getting to know many parents in the process. I've learned that Moroccans have scarily few choices and have to make decisions for their children's future when they are 5. I've re-realized that for all its faults, I love the American school system and value all our choices and freedoms. I learned that even though both options are fine with me, like an elected official, I have to throw all my energy into the majority's wishes. It’s been hard to watch our Moroccan friends being dragged on this roller-coaster of emotions. I’ve realized that that I can’t spell “baccalaureate” or “bureaucracy” without spell-check. I know that my girls need me after working what amounts to almost full-time the last few weeks. And I’m exhausted.
Waiting for the next episode of this soap opera...

4 Comments:
There is always high drama associated with major change, but rarely are the results as bad or good as predicted. You do the best you can and then you carry on. Now go out and have a little fun. Sounds like you've earned it.
Barb
I am reading parts of your Dad's book. He would just shake his head and wonder why you don't just do it and not feel so responsible. You know the type of leadership there and their normal reaction. I do agree with Barb that you should take the girls and have some fun. A good fight now and then does get the juices flowing but when you are designated as the ambushee, duck when the shooting starts. MUD
Thanks, Barb! Will try to keep that in mind. I would love to be able to talk about all this with Dad. I have come to realize that living abroad is much easier than working abroad. I guess I'm still at the naive stage! We had a break from it all this weekend - now all we can do is wait.
Dear sister
Can you believe that not only have I visited your golb, I figured out how to leave you a note! Sounds like a huge thing you're dealing with - loaded with cultural issues and undermined with assumptions, history and lack of openness from AUI. wow. blessings to you.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home