Saturday, August 21, 2010

Home!


I know I said I’d wait a week to write, but three of our four are still sleeping at 1:30 PM, and I don’t want to wake anyone up with unpacking, so…what better to do than write?

Fortunately Dennis drove us to the airport in their wonderful car that has served us all summer.
Unfortunately my temper was sorely tested as the lady who checked us in didn’t even allow .5 lbs extra so all 8 bags had to have at least something taken out and added to our carry-ons (ask Gerald’s back how it feels about this).
Fortunately the plane was not too small (I hate small planes where you bounce along on every current and hear every sound).
Unfortunately Katrina spilled Sprite all over herself.
Fortunately I had packed an extra set of clothes in her carry-on.
Unfortunately Katrina locked herself into the plane bathroom.
Fortunately the stewardess knew how to open the door from the outside and she went back in later with me to learn how to do it and ‘face her fears’
Unfortunately Madrid has a satellite airport which takes forever to transfer to.
Fortunately we got to our plane.
Unfortunately half our luggage did not.
Fortunately we did not know this yet and landed happily in Casablanca where faithful “Mohammad the taxi guy” was waiting for us.
Unfortunately Mohammad’s taxi had no AC.
Fortunately I lost several of my US-gained pounds sweating it off (I know, I know - that's a bad way to lose weight - but I had to find something positive about excessive sweating!).
Unfortunately it’s Ramadan - so no drinking water for the adults out of respect for the driver.
Fortunately we learned on the trip that Ron’s crew made all connections, got all their luggage, and were let back into the country where a US diplomat was waiting for them to make sure all went well - praise!
Unfortunately the girls slept all day making us wonder what all night would look like.
Fortunately we crested the hill into refreshingly cool Ifrane and rejoiced at the sight of our beautiful town and home!

2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM , Blogger MUD said...

I am glad that you are all there safely. In the US any baggage not put on the plane would be delivered by taxi the next day. I hope your stuff arrives all there.
I wondered about the weight. With enough time prior to your flight, they had time to increase your hassle factor.
Oh well, my mind is at rest to find you home safe. The rest is just details in the "Adventures of the Reimers" to be someday in a book like the travel of your father. MUD

 
At 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can picture you quietly writing while the rest of the crew recovers from the long journey. However the picture you posted doesn't fit with that. You all look much too rested and unrumpled in the picture. Glad you are home safe and sound. Time to go riding.
Barb

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home