Monday, June 27, 2011

And we're almost off!

Sorry so many blogs in so few days! I am trying to catch up because we are taking off tomorrow at 4:00 AM! The girls and I, that is. We have a large then small (with Mom & sibs/families) Friesen reunion near Kansas City. Gerald has to stay and teach and will be joining us in Winnipeg July 15 . Today has been a hard day - thinking about being away from each other (I know, it's not that long - it's just that we haven't had to be apart at all up until this point). We are also saying goodbye to our good friends, the Wrytzens and most of the girls' teachers, some of whom we know & love very much. To top it all off, our much-loved furball of a cat disappeared Friday night and we have not seen him since. The girls say so many goodbyes that I hate to see them say another one! I know we will get through today and have fun on the other side of the ocean, though!

And here's proof I got to talk to Buzz Aldrin last Saturday! A bunch of the kids were invited to a photo shoot with him (which was kind of a joke since so many people were crowded around). Then we walked up to a reception. I was looking around the kids I was in charge of when there he was! He said, "Hi! You don't see many blonds around here!" Then he told me how his luggage almost got lost. So he's a pretty normal guy too! It was a really special day because we also had the surprise of meeting some very special kids we haven't seen for a long time. I had a grin on my face most of the day!

As usual, probably won't write much if at all this summer. I'll be back (like a bad cold) in late August!

3 Comments:

At 3:09 PM , Blogger MUD said...

I can't imagine how hard it is to bring a country into the modern era and maintain some of the traditions of the old. There is always the specter of slipping back into the hard core control of the religion against the desire of the people to move forward. At least there isn't someone every 25 feet with an AK-47. See you soon.

 
At 3:22 PM , Blogger MUD said...

The girls arrived safely in Kansas City late last night. We are going to spend the day resting and eating. The girls have picked blackberries, lettuce and visited the snake eggs. Lots of fun at breakfast. We all ate way too much bacon and waffles.

 
At 4:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to be in Topeka during your visit? We would love to bump into you! Niki

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home