Sunday, November 12, 2006

Moroccan School

Pictured: Katrina's classroom with her teacher on the right, Katrina on her first day of school.

Katrina is now attending a Moroccan school part time. All instruction is in French and most play is in Arabic. The school's normal hours are 8:30-11:30, then a break for the "French lunch," then back again from 2:30-6:30. We are thankful the director is allowing Katrina to just attend three mornings a week. The other mornings and afternoons as needed I continue to homeschool her.

This has been a hard decision as the teaching methods are different from what I would like and because the play is rough - but we are giving it a try. This way she gets a start in French and Arabic at a prime age for language learning.

So far Katrina does not have a lot of good or bad to say about school. She is happy to go and is happy when we pick her up.

She doesn't really understand what is going on yet, but has started to learn to count as well as the all-important word for "snack!" When we first came, the only thing Katrina didn't seem to like about Morocco was being surrounded by other languages. Now this doesn't bother her and she is very interested in learning new words. We are thankful.

Please pray that this will work out and that Katrina will be able to overcome her shyness and participate in the class as she becomes able.

(All pictures on this blog can be enlarged if you double-click on the picture itself.)

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM , Blogger MUD said...

I have seen Katrina do a full gainer off the top of the sofa and giggle. I wouldn't worry about rough play. How does little sister do during the periods that Katrina is at school? I love your blogs and especially the pictures. MUD

 
At 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
I enjoy your postings. I have had several children come into my class who did not speak English when I was a fourth grade teacher in Leavenworth. For about 9 weeks all they did was listen. The next quarter, they started to be part of the group, but it really took until the third quarter of the year before they felt comfortable in class. By the end of the year I was telling one parent, "I wish your son wouldn't talk so much!" Barb

 
At 7:34 AM , Blogger Reimer Ramblings said...

Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know about how long to expect things to happen. Now if I can figure out how to communicate that to the teacher!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home