RLS
I chose this very unflattering picture of myself because it shows how I feel about RLS, Restless Leg Syndrome. It's a long story. It's one that I actually hope to write up someday because it's part of my spiritual journey. Kind of like my very own personal 'thorn in the flesh'!
I remember having the first twinges of RLS at age 7. But they never bothered me at all or were in the least bit significant until I got married. No, I do not blame Gerald for this! Even then all it meant is standing up sometimes or walking it off. One day I returned from my walk and said to Gerald, "It took TWO miles to walk it off this time!" Little did I know...
RLS is a neurological condition in which the brain tells the legs they HAVE to move. The name and the description sounds silly, doesn't it? Apparently once Rush Limbaugh made fun of it on the radio and got a landslide of calls! People describe it in different ways, but for me, it is a deep, burning ache that cannot be stopped unless I exercise. The most significant issue with RLS is that it interferes with sleep and is considered a major sleep disorder.
During pregnancy with Katrina, I had to do up to 200 squats a night before hopping into bed and quickly falling asleep. My dad, who also had RLS, asked me how my legs were doing during my first trimester. "Don't ever get pregnant, Dad" was my answer. He promised me he would not :)
During pregnancy with Kendra, my RLS went off the charts. At the worst point, I had to stand/stretch/exercise for three hours every night before bed. Then I would hop into bed with a heating pad and sleep for 15 minutes. Then my legs would wake me up and I would do 100-200 leg exercises, hop into bed, and maybe fall asleep for another 15 minutes. I easily did over 1000 exercises in one night and slept sometimes not at all and sometimes here and there. Finally the doctor found a medicine that gave me a few hours of sleep.
After delivery, my legs still bothered me so I went on new medication and my legs finally calmed down. But then over the years since then, they got progressively worse again to the point where, this summer, I felt the pain almost 24 hours a day. I could only take the medicine at night so my sleep was OK, but my days were miserable. I never sat through supper and sometimes didn't make it through lunch. I couldn't sit in the evenings at all, and the worst part - I couldn't cuddle my girls or read to them. One day as I ended yet another attempt at a reading session with the girls, Kendra said, "Don't your legs like you?"
So this summer I went off the old medication (which was a bit like detox) and onto a new one.
And wonder, of wonders - I feel as if I don't even have RLS now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes I feel the twinges, but they are never severe and they don't last long. For my birthday this year, I got to sit ALL day and it was lovely! I think I might even get a bell so I can summon people (Gerald) to do things for me so that I stand as little as possible :)
I am amazed and grateful to God and to all those who helped & prayed me through these last long years!
Celebrating while sitting -
yours truly

5 Comments:
Wow Julie, that's amazing! My brother-in-law has RLS as well and because he rarely gets any sleep at night he has really got quite depressed. What's the medication that is working for you? It would be great to check with him and see whether he has tried that or not.
Glad to hear that such a nice person is finally getting some sleep. I had a bout with not sleeping and I thought I was losing my mind. I found that it was caffeine and everything is good. Had a great trip to Zion, Bryce and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. MUD
Yaaaaaaaaaaay! Yippeeeee yai yo! Praising with you. :)
heidi
Sorry so long to respond - I was buried under the rummage sale pile at church all last week!
I used to use generic Requip which is great if your bro-in-law doesn't have augmentation (when the medication makes the condition worse). Now I am on generic Mirapex and it's wonderful. Either way, he should see a neurologist asap and start on something. Also, he should have his iron checked. Depression and lack of sleep go together - poor guy :( Let us know what happens.
Julie
I loved this life event story! It was nice to visit with you when you were on your way to feeling great! God bless you as you sit!
Vera
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home