JOY
Here is something I wrote for our church advent meditations. It recalls a time of depression resulting from 1.5 years of insomnia. Someday I'll get the whole story written down, but this is what I have for now!
-------
There was a time when Joy went away
It went away so long that I doubted its very existence
I saw the smiles on the faces of others and assumed they were fake
Because mine was
I even questioned whether I had ever experienced joy
or whether I ever would again
Odd for someone who had previously been full of Joy
Indeed, Hope had marched right out the door with Joy
And while they were out, Fear and Despair had entered
And made their dark home
How I hated them
I fought them
I prayed against them
I clung to God
Every moment
At the end of a long, dark year
One night
As I rocked my babies
I realized
The Darkness was gone
Joy and Hope had returned
Like someone who has been sick a long time and finally feels better, I basked in the glow of feeling well again
Walking in the crisp air the next morning, I promised God that I would
Never
Never
Never
Forget what it was like to be without Joy
And I promised Him that I would never take His Joy for granted again
That I would treasure it
Cling to it
Rejoice in it
Spread it

2 Comments:
About 15 years ago, I was having trouble sleeping. I was waking up with a startle and feeling panicked. I noticed that my resting pulse rate was high but I didn't connect the two. One day as I felt particularly out of sorts, I mentioned my problem to a friend. He told me that he had the same problem until he dropped caffein from his diet. From noon on, he did not drink it in any form. That day I did not drink any coffee or pepsi after lunch. Thay night I fell asleep on the couch right after dinner. About noon the next day Barb woke me about noon and asked me if I was going to sleep all day. I stopped drinking coffee after noon right then and there and it has pretty much gone away. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Sorry, Katie! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get something up!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home