Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Harera Soup

Harera is by far the most common soup in Morocco. Right now it is eaten every single night to break the fast along with other foods mentioned yesterday. All ingredients are fresh. I'll give the recipe to you as it was given to me - with lots of room to wonder and to make it your own! This is how cooking has been here in Morocco so now you get to experience it!

(Our connection is not allowing me to add a picture)

Here is the recipe:

Harera Soup
(start soaking chickpeas at least the night before and lentils a few hours before)

Boil together for 90 minutes or until chickpeas are tender :
Tomatoes - mashed (I used about 4)
Fresh Parsley (I was not given amounts - they use liberally - so add whatever you think!)
Fresh cilantro (you decide amount)
Celery - diced - (you decide amount)
1 bowl chickpeas (soak overnight beforehand) - I'll let you figure out what a "bowl" is :) When I made it, I assumed it was a bit more than a cup.
1/4 bowl lentils (soak an hour or two beforehand)
A bowl of meat of your choosing - diced
2 "small" spoons of ginger - fresh grated
3 small spoons of salt
2 small spoons of pepper
1 diced onion
1 small can of tomato paste
1/2 small spoon of cinnamon
1/4 small spoon of saffron
1 big spoon of cow butter mixed with spices (can't find at Dillons? No problem! Just use butter)
Water as needed - about a bowl

When chickpeas are tender,

Add:
1/4 bowl spaghetti noodles cut up small or 1/4 bowl of rice

boil until done

Thicken with 2 big spoons of flour mixed with water in a paste (I was told a bowl of flour, but I'll spare you that mistake!)
Add a little more parsley and cilantro

Enjoy and think of Morocco!

2 Comments:

At 11:03 PM , Blogger MUD said...

I made some of the Harera soup minus just a few things. For the most part I did follow the recipie. Wanted to use some cubed ham but for Ramadan I left that out. I had some nice steak I had grilled and it added a nice smoky flavor to the soup. I also used Basmati rice for the starch. Excellent soup for a fall day in KS.

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger Cecily said...

that sounds like the way I cook. I'll try it out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home