Who is this?

In college, after looking through an old yearbook, a staff member asked me if I was related to a Viola Wiebe who graduated in the 50's - "You look exactly like her!" she exclaimed. "Well, that is my Grandmother's name," I mused, "but she graduated much earlier . . . no, I'm not related to any Viola Wiebe from the '50s . . . Wait! That's my mom!" Before you sign me up for Alzheimer's treatment, remember - I have only known my mother as "Ruth Friesen," "Viola" being a dropped first name because of the confusion with her mother's name.
Seventy-five years ago yesterday Viola Ruth Wiebe was born in India to John and Viola Wiebe. The family returned to Minnesota when she was 13. Then Mom went to Tabor College (Kansas) where she met Dad and went on to live in the USA, Indonesia, Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, and Pakistan having 5 babies along the way - no small feat!
"Ruth" means compassion and that is a great description for my incredible mother. A magnet to anyone who needs help and love, she has spent most of her life caring for the weak and the helpless from Dad's hospital patients, to refugees, to some rather flamboyant odd-balls . . . you name it. Since I am a point A to point B type of person, Mom has taught me much about stopping along the way and enjoying the beauty of nature and the people all around us. Most of all, she and Dad introduced me to the God they have served and who has led them all their lives.
AND - she will be in Morocco a week from now! She's coming to visit for six weeks! When I told Katrina that my brother Ron will pick up "Oma", she said incredulously, "Does he know her??" after which we had yet another family-tree lesson.
This is Mom's first major trip since Dad died, so I know she would appreciate your prayers.

2 Comments:
What a great picture. Not hard to see what your dad saw in that beauty. I hope the girls have a great time catching up on hugs from Grandma. My mother is 85 today and we celebrated her birthday over the weekend. About half of the people could make it on Saturday and half on Sunday. Never passed up a chance to have a party so I had one both days. I am too partied to pop. Kiss the girls for us. MUD & Bobwa
April 23rd. My brother's bday is April 22. Small world. MUD
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home