Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Monkey Business


Barbary apes live all over in the cedar forests surrounding Ifrane. Although they are called "apes," they are really monkeys with a bit of identity crisis. Their tail is barely visible and does not serve any purpose, so somewhere along the way they got the wrong name since apes have no tails.
About 20 minutes away from here, there is a spot in the woods near some shops where we can always see the monkeys. We love to go there and feed the rascals peanuts (which we buy there) or fruit and water (which we bring from home - see picture of the monkey drinking). We have to hide the food for them in a pocket or a purse - or they are likely to swipe the entire bag and take off with it. They especially do this to Kendra perhaps because she's their size! Just the other day, a huge monkey grabbed the whole bag of apples from me. When I tried to get it back, he hissed at me, so I quickly agreed with him and said he could keep it. Then I stood at a distance and informed him of how rude and selfish he was being. He didn't seem to care.
The social order becomes very obvious as the biggest mamas or papas chase off others to get the food. Each age of monkey seems to also have a social order among themselves. It is the little ones and the 'teenagers' that are the most fun to feed, so we try to make sure they get some too. Their scampering and playing is always hilarious to watch. The tiny ones (right) are transported on the back or tummy of their mother.
Assuming they don't have the whole bag of food, the girls can hand food directly to the monkeys who are actually quite gentle (top picture). The girls were a bit fearful at first, but they do fine now. Sunday, a tiny one thought I had more food so he jumped up on me and clung to my legs! I wish I had had something to keep him there longer.
Recently when we went to the zoo in Rabat, the girls were rather unimpressed with the monkey section because they couldn't go in the cages and feed them!

3 Comments:

At 11:55 PM , Blogger MUD said...

Almost as much fun as feeding the geese. At least there is no goose poop everywhere. I do mis the girls and am glad to see they are doing different and exciting things. We are rehabbing a house for Dave and his wife and man is it work. For over two months we have spent a bunch of hours cleaning and rehabbing. The end is in sight but it takes a lot of work to get there. MUD

 
At 9:45 PM , Blogger MUD said...

Do the little white girls scare the monkeys? I would think that they look a lot different than the indigenous crowd. Those lucky monkeys. MUD

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Reimer Ramblings said...

The monkeys don't seem to notice what color we are - but I do think they notice that we are not talking to them in Arabic!

Good luck with that house!
julie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home